How to Stuff Your Dog’s Food Toy
Dogs are natural hunters and scavengers so why are we still feeding out of a bowl? All animals need environmental enrichment, so let's look at the simplest way to do that. Kongs #ad are one of my favourite food dispensing toys in the world and I just happen to have over a dozen of them in my freezer at all times. West Paw #ad also makes fantastic stuffable toys!
It is important for dogs to succeed at their "work". Make it easy for the dogs or puppy to remove the Kong stuffing at first. As they become more experienced, you can make their job more challenging.
- Pack the contents tighter.
- Wedge bits of biscuits inside under the rim.
- Freeze a fully stuffed Kong for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Cheese the inside of the Kong, melt it in the microwave until it's soft and then add the other ingredients so that they stick. Let it cool to a safe temperature.
- Put a dab of peanut butter in the small end of the Kong to plug it. Turn it upside down in a cup. Freeze it and then fill it low-sodium broth or another soft / liquid from the list below and freeze again. (These are recommended for outdoor use!)
- Create a scavenger hunt! Leave your dog a few stuffed Kongs and let them find each of them!
- As you create recipes, be sensitive to your dog's sensitivities/allergies as you experiment.
- green beans
- chopped apple
- steamed broccoli
- scrambled egg
- dried liver bits
- banana chips
- unsalted cashews or almonds
- rice cakes (crumbled)
- your dog's regular kibble
- canned dog food
- plain noodles or pasta
- white or brown rice
- mashed potatoes / yam
- cottage cheese
- cream cheese
- plain yogurt
- peanut butter / almond butter
- canned tuna / salmon
- ground meats
How to stuff a KongAs an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons, nor does it affect your pricing. (Hey, a girl’s gotta eat!)
Be the first to read these articles!
Get my articles sent to your inbox the moment I hit "publish"!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.